Thursday, March 12, 2009

AtoB Back and Forth Revew: The Wrestler, Part II


Yesterday, Kozy and I started with our analysis of The Wrestler, posting Part I of our back and forth conversation. Today we conclude with Part II.

ANDREW

Hola Brad-O,

I sincerely hope we're not going to be discussing Rocky on every single one of these AtoBs or we'll have to make the name of this feature even longer. Rock was supposed to be killed off at the end of Rocky V, but the script was altered in that one, too. Actually, now that I think about it, he basically was killed in that it took 16 years for anyone to be able to stomach the idea of another Rocky movie. Anyway, I think there's a clear difference here (aside from the oblique video-game meme the two movies share). There aren't a whole lot of boxers who die in their 30s, but in professional wrestling, it's practically the norm. Because of the steroids and continuous demands placed on their bodies, the career is a perilous one. Also, while Rocky has always played the underdog (think about it - in all six movies that's his role), The Ram went from being the alfa dog to simply the old, broken hound that is still trying to chase rabbits because he doesn't know what else to do with himself.

I'm glad to hear that you haven't written off the older ladies entirely. After your stern warning regarding Kathleen Turner Overdrive last time around, Ms. Tomei's "performance" is a reminder that the flip-side to that coin is all the more impressive. They clearly put no makeup on her during the shopping scene in order to "ugly her up", but it didn't work. I did think the most unrealistic part of the film was when the 20-something delta bravos complained about how old she looked. That probably played better in the script, and was an important scene, but just didn't fly with someone as stunning as Marisa Tomei.
I mean wow

I'm dying to discuss the ending but am afraid of giving away any spoilers. So I'll try to be careful here. Just know this paragraph may contain spoilers. The ending seems like a cliffhanger, but we all know what the result is going to be, maybe not right away, but some day soon. One could argue that it's not tragic because The Ram is making his own choice, but it is most certainly sad. The Ram is clearly a stubborn man, and his stubbornness has cost him every relationship he's ever had. The biggest takeaway here is that we all have a shelf life, but if we keep friends and family with us, at least we can reminisce without killing ourselves in the process. End of potential spoilers.

Speaking of washed up heavy metal acts, I saw a photo of the dudes from Spinal Tap the other day, without the wigs and leather. Man, do they look decrepit. Sometimes you hear people say, "then you wake up one day and you're 55 and you're suddenly an old man." But of course it doesn't work that way. Life is a long, gradual process. Already at 33, I'm feeling my age bit. The Ram knows he's well past his prime, but presses on because it's the only thing that gives him any value in life. At least the fans appreciate him.
Looking like they were around to help build Stonehenge

And now, I kick it on back to you my friend.

BRAD

Yo Reed,
Also speaking of washed up heavy metal acts, Judas Priest is playing Amsterdam in a few weeks. my wife saw a tour promo picture and said it looked like any one of them could die on stage at any moment, or at the very least break a hip. What do you think?
I mean wow

This paragraph may contain spoilers. I agree with you that the ending to The Wrestler is a bit of a cliffhanger, even though I knew in my own heart, from post-hospital scene on, that The Ram’s heart would not beat past the end of the film. Even with this sad truth staring me down, I sat contorted and tortured in my seat watching the final scene hoping and praying The Ram would realize that Marisa Tomei loved him and that he had something to live for. End of spoilers.

So far, we're 2 for 2 on agreeing with one another. Maybe we need to start watching films that are more controversial? Or perhaps you can force me to sit through 2001 again. Certainly The Wrestler will be a film I watch again on video sometime soon, and you know I'm not into watching movies more than once unless they're exceptional.

See you next time for another film, you old broken down piece of meat!
- Kozy

No comments: