Monday, July 30, 2007

Unyielding Commissioning Suddenly Feels Way Behind

Ingmar Bergman dead at 89. I have only seen a handful of Bergman's films, but have absolutely loved them all. This is a day where I wish I had been more aggressive in viewing his catalog. Based on my limited knowledge of his work, his reputation for intensely personal films that deal with the most human of issues is much deserved. When people discuss the "greatest directors of all time", he is often overlooked, likely because his films are in Swedish. Had he directed English language movies, I'm sure he would be placed on everyone's top five list. If you have never seen a Bergman film, any of his renowned works is a good place to start (The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Fanny and Alexander, Persona). You and I will both be playing catchup, as I definitely plan to see everything he's ever made. The only film reviewed in this space so far is Smiles of a Summer Night (89: Sparkling). Bergman continued to direct through the critically lauded 2003 film, Saraband. He will be missed.

UPDATE: Roger Ebert has written a eulogy on Bergman, and it is of course brilliant. Check it out here.

Schwarzenegger alive at 60. Today is Arnold's sixtieth birthday. In honor of his achievement (still kicking despite the steroids), here's some of his early work. He's come a long way. Enjoy!

No comments: