Friday, February 27, 2009

A to B Back and Forth Review: Slumdog Millionaire, Part III

A few days ago, Brad and I began our conversation about Slumdog Millionaire. Then we continued it. Now it's time for the wrap-up in the aftermath of the movie's Oscar victories.

BRAD
Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:35 AM


My closing thoughts here Reed-aroo!

The results have been tallied and Oscar has chosen. Slumdog taking the top prize at this point is not exactly surprising, is it?. Actually, I think if it had not won that would have been a bigger shock. Like last years World Series champion Philadelphia Phillies, Slumdog got hot down the stretch and took that momentum all the way to the prize.

I think Slumdog will certainly have longer legs than recent best picture winners Crash and Million Dollar Baby. These days I think the greatest way to measure a films lasting impact is longevity. Will we sit on your sofa in Buenos Aires and watch Slumdog via your Slingbox on TBS or F/X two or three years from now? My guess is yes. I think the exotic appeal of the films locations and quixotic lead will not only keep this film in front of our eyes, but will also likely spawn a host of imitators that will open India’s doors to the masses.

Your Springer Final Thoughts?

Tot ziens,
Kozy

ANDREW
Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:07 AM


Kozy, now I know you're just trying to provoke me. Why else would you mention Crash to me? Seriously, that's like going to Applebee's for dinner and saying, "Well, I enjoyed this meal a lot better than that BMT from Subway last night." Let's just move ahead. The Phillies won the World Series? I had no idea. Baseball isn't exactly on Sportscenter here. I seriously question the legs of Slumdog. I definitely enjoyed the movie, but I don't have an urge to see it again. Maybe I'll buy the soundtrack, though.

All in all, Slumdog Millionaire is a fine film in a weak year that benefited by Oscar leaving eschewing the two best films from nomination. Oscar's always reliable that way. I would recommend this film to probably everyone, but would be cautious of contributing to the overhype that you mentioned earlier. Will India bring us more films along these lines? I sure hope so. There's a truly great film just waiting to be made, lurking beneath the pizazz of this one. Someone out there has the talent and artistry to pull it off. I can already see the posters, "It's like Slumdog Millionaire, but with a good story!" I can't wait.

Un abrazo,
A

No comments: