Monday, October 19, 2009

Top 50 albums of the 00s - #45, Animal Collective: Merriweather Post Pavilion

Yep, we're counting down the top 50. Click here for overview and criteria.

If I liked this record more it would be higher on the list. Hmmm. Is that the most obvious thing ever written? Let me clarify. I've never been into Animal Collective, and have "mehed" at the previous urgings by their fans to give prior releases more chances. I think it's probably safe to say that I still don't get it. However, this is a brilliant piece of work. It's not really my thing. But it's so well done that I can't help but really fucking dig it. This nerdy group of harmonizers have taken their "Beach Boys on way more acid" routine to a much higher level.

This album takes a good two minutes to get going. But then it goes and goes and goes. It's headphone, private music to be sure. I can't imagine playing this record with any other people around for any occasion. First of all, if they weren't already accustomed to this kind of music, they would have a strong desire to punch my stereo square in the face. And even if they were already fans, it's not like you're going to hang out or rock it out to the dissonant boops and beeps that comprise the majority of this record. But when the whole point of the record is its punctuation, it can take you over as it pins you to the floor for ribcage-typewriter-torture.

I guess what I'm saying is, this album is annoying in an overt way, but inherently listenable in spite of itself. I have already decided that it doesn't mean anything, and I don't know that I'm going keep going find any hidden depths to it. But at the same time, there will certainly be times when I'm in the mood. There just won't be anybody else around.





Previous Entries:
#46 - Caribou - Andorra
#47 - Mastodon - Crack the Skye
#48 - Shout Out Louds - Howl Howl Gaff Gaff
#49 - At the Drive-In: Relationship of Command
#50 - Rival Schools: United by Fate


1 comment:

PMaz said...

I don't know much about AC, but I do like this one.